ABBYY FineReader 8.0 Pro
Convert paper documents and PDFs into editable files using award-winning ABBYY Optical Character Recognition technology!
ABBYY FineReader 8.0 Professional Edition is the latest version of ABBYY's award-winning Optical Character Recognition software that delivers superior OCR and PDF conversion capabilities. In today's world we're always short of time - so why spend hours retyping? Use ABBYY FineReader OCR to recognize your documents and save 14 minutes on average with each page!
ABBYY FineReader 8.0 Professional Edition is an ideal OCR application for users who demand the highest level of recognition accuracy and format retention. An excellent time-saving solution, FineReader OCR allows you to convert and edit a variety of paper documents and electronic files, including PDF files and scanned pages of books, magazines, newspapers, legal documents, contracts, faxes, letters, brochures and much more!
Enhanced OCR Accuracy
- Up to 30 Percent* Accuracy Improvement for Low-Quality Documents. ABBYY FineReader 8.0 offers an overall accuracy improvement with considerably increased accuracy for low-quality documents such as paper documents scanned at low resolution and faxes. These types of documents are traditionally more difficult for OCR software to read, and ABBYY FineReader now handles them with greater accuracy, delivering up to 30 percent improvement on faxes. FineReader’s newest image pre-processing technologies result in a 15 percent* increase in accuracy when reading low-resolution documents, such as those scanned at 200 dpi or originating from multifunction devices.
- Greater Accuracy with Integrated Microsoft Word Custom Dictionary. Integrated support for Microsoft Word custom dictionaries and the ability to use these dictionaries in the recognition process ensure correct recognition of user-specific words.
Digital Camera OCR
- ABBYY FineReader 8.0 breaks new ground with new special processing algorithms for document images taken with digital cameras. ABBYY FineReader identifies photographed documents and applies ABBYY’s new adaptive recognition technology for camera images for the best OCR results. FineReader 8.0 delivers an average improvement of 40% over version 7.0 in processing such images. ABBYY FineReader 8.0 opens the door to Camera OCR. Now you are not limited to a scanner to capture documents – you can use a digital camera** as well.
Faster, Smarter PDF Conversion
- Intelligent PDF Conversion Process. ABBYY FineReader 8.0 delivers superior accuracy in PDF file conversion with its dual-option approach. When processing PDF files, FineReader determines whether or not text is embedded, examines the integrity of the text layer and makes a decision as to whether to extract the text or apply OCR. It examines each block individually, and selects the most appropriate method to apply to each block. This advanced technology makes PDF conversion more accurate and up to two times* faster.
- If necessary, advanced users can select "Recognise PDF as Image" mode to process all PDF documents as images.
- PDF Security Settings and Encryption Support
- ABBYY FineReader 8.0 supports the following PDF security settings, making it well suited for professionals working in government agencies and other organizations demanding high security. FineReader:
- Supports “open file” password settings designed to prevent unauthorized access to a document.
Allows users to restrict certain operations, such as printing, editing or extracting file content, by assigning permission passwords.
Supports RC4-based 40-bit, 128-bit, and AES (Advanced Encryption Standard)-based 128-bit encryption, which is adopted by the U.S. government as the document security standard.
- When converting PDF files, FineReader captures PDF document properties defined by the author, such as Title, Subject, Author, and Keywords, and transfers that information to a similar location in the output documents. Supported formats include: DOC, RTF, XLS, HTML, PDF, and LIT.
- PDF Output in Tagged PDF Format
- ABBYY FineReader now supports output to Tagged PDF format that can be "reflowed" to fit different page or screen widths. This makes it easy to create PDF files that are optimized for handheld devices such as PDAs or screen readers which are typically used by visually impaired users.
- Links in PDF Files
- When converting PDF files, FineReader will recreate internal links and hyperlinks within a PDF file. For example, if the table of contents in the PDF file has links to document pages, these internal links will be reconstructed in the Microsoft Word document.
- Other Enhancements in PDF Conversion
- Send results to Adobe Acrobat/Adobe Reader. Recognized documents can now be sent directly to Adobe Acrobat/Adobe Reader without previously saving to the hard disk.
Page size. Now users can set the same size for all pages of a multi-page output PDF file, which means that users will not need to spend time adjusting individual page sizes after saving in PDF.
New default saving mode. To reduce the size of PDF files, ABBYY FineReader 8.0 defaults to “Text and pictures only” mode.
Automation Manager: Faster Document Processing
- A new Automation Manager allows you to perform the multiple steps of document or PDF conversion with a single mouse click. FineReader’s simple drop-down menus offer pre-defined automated tasks for the most common document processing routines:
- PDF/Images to Word
Scan to PDF
Scan to Word
Simply select one of the options, and the program performs the entire multi-step process automatically.
- You can also create your own automated tasks using the Automation Wizard. The Wizard guides you through the steps of creating new automated tasks. Tasks can be created and customized based on the commands and options in ABBYY FineReader 8.0, so you can quickly and easily fine-tune the process to perform very specific tasks automatically. For example, you could perform recognition and save the results into two different formats (such as Word and PDF) with a single mouse click. Once you have created some useful automated tasks, you can export them as a file and share with your colleagues and friends.
- Fast Mode Recognition
- ABBYY FineReader 8.0 now offers a “fast mode recognition” option which increases speed by up 2.5 times when full analysis and processing are not necessary. This option is ideal when processing large batches of documents in which extracted text is used only for indexing (searchable archives), or large groups of documents with simple layouts and good printing and scanning quality.
- Recognition and Re-creation of Hyperlinks
- Showing greater knowledge of how text formatting works, FineReader is now able to “read” and reproduce hyperlinks. Text elements starting with http://, ftp://, file://, or mailto:// are now recognized by FineReader as hyperlinks and reproduced as functional links when sent to Microsoft Word, PDF and HTML. You can edit or remove detected hyperlinks in FineReader Editor or create new ones.
- Bonus ABBYY Screenshot Reader Application
- ABBYY Screenshot Reader is an easy-to-use utility that lets you quickly capture screen images and perform “instant OCR” from the screen. It is ideal for pulling text, tables, or images from Web browser pages, flash presentations, Windows Explorer file menus, or error messages. Screenshot Reader is also an ideal “quick OCR” tool when you want to pull small quotes or a few sentences of text from a PDF or image file.
- ABBYY Screenshot Reader ships with ABBYY FineReader 8.0 Professional Edition as a bonus application for registered users.
- Improvements in Document Pre-Processing
- Correction of Wrong Image Resolution
- This feature particularly improves recognition accuracy for low-resolution images, digital camera images and screenshots. Now, when adding an image to the batch, ABBYY FineReader checks whether it conforms to a set of standard parameters. Images with “bad” or suspect resolution are automatically corrected. Moreover, a user can set image resolution manually, if necessary.
"Straighten Text Lines" Option
- When scanning thick books, the text close to the binding is often distorted. A similar problem occurs when photographing documents: the lines of text close to the borders become distorted (as a result of optical distortions or because the document is placed on an uneven surface). FineReader offers a new "Straighten Text Lines" option for correcting such distortions.
- New "Crop" Feature
- ABBYY FineReader 8.0 offers a new “Crop” feature that helps users crop images manually or automatically. The "Crop" feature is useful for removing areas with big black borders from a scanned image, for reducing all the pages in the batch to one size (this is often required when saving to PDF), and for working with images obtained with a digital camera if an image contains unwanted areas around the text.
- Defining Output Document Properties
- ABBYY FineReader 8.0 now has a special function that allows you to define additional document properties, such as Title, Author, Subject and Keywords, and save this data to PDF, DOC/RTF, XLS, HTML, Word XML and LIT file formats. These properties can be used by the operating system and other software for indexing and searching saved files.
- Changes to OCR Languages and Dictionaries
- ABBYY FineReader continues to add to the long list of languages it can read. Version 8.0 now supports 179 recognition languages, including 36 with dictionary support. The main changes are as follows:
- Two new recognition languages have been added: Uigur (Cyrillic) and Uigur (Latin).
Updated dictionaries for Danish, Dutch (Netherlands), Finnish, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian (Nynorsk and Bokmal), Polish, and Portuguese (Portugal). The improved dictionary support also enhances recognition quality for these languages.
Added dictionary support for recognition and spell check in the Slovenian and Bashkir languages.
German and English medical and legal dictionaries are now merged into the main dictionaries. Now users can perform OCR of English or German medical and legal texts without changing the recognition language.
Other Productivity Enhancements
- Opening Multi-Page PDF and TIFF Files
- If you do not need the entire document converted, you can open only selected pages of your multi-page PDF or TIFF files in ABBYY FineReader 8.0.
- TIFF LZW Compression Support
- ABBYY FineReader 8.0 can now open TIFF files with LZW compression.
- New Saving Formats
- The new version supports Microsoft Reader e-book .LIT output format for creating electronic books. Together with new tagged PDF format, they make transfer of paper materials to PDA devices fast and easy.
- New RTF/DOC Saving Settings
- “Retain layout” options have been modified to simplify the editing of saved files. If a user is planning a lot of editing and re-formatting in a recognized text document, he can save the document in the new mode that will keep the layout (columns, tables, paragraphs and fonts) close to original while allowing easy editing of the text.
- New Options for Saving Documents with Embedded Pictures
- ABBYY FineReader 8.0 features new options for saving pictures in output documents. Now it is possible to select color depth for pictures (color, grey or black and white) and compression methods. For example, if there are many color pictures in a document, you can save all pictures as grey or black and white, thus reducing output file size significantly. Additional options are also added for saving documents in PDF, HTML and PPT formats. When exporting to PDF, you can select the compression format for embedded pictures, and when saving to HTML and PPT, you can choose between the JPEG and PNG embedded picture formats.
- You can set different parameters for each individual picture within the documents or select one “universal” setting for all pictures in the documents.
- Support for Up-to-Date Intel Processors
- ABBYY FineReader 8.0 supports up-to-date Intel Dual Core and Hyper-Threading technologies providing significant increase in productivity in the background recognition mode on the modern Intel processors.
- Main Interface Updates
- ABBYY FineReader 8.0 offers an updated interface design with new icons and additional changes that make the product easier to use. The main menu has been reorganized to make it simpler to find key functions. The “Options” and “Format Settings” dialogs have been redesigned, while advanced, legacy and rarely used options have been moved to a separate dialog box (Legacy Options). Context menus have been expanded with additional options.
To purchase, contact us by email or Toll-Free: 866-339-1180.