Duxbury MegaDots 2.3
MegaDots is a mature DOS braille translator with powerful features for the volume transcriber and producer. Its straightforward, style-based system and automated features let you create great braille with only a few keystrokes. Yet it is sophisticated enough to please the fussiest braille producers -- you can control each step MegaDots follows to format, translate and produce braille documents. MegaDots 2.3 now has a Windows installation program that automatically installs your desktop icons and shortcuts. The headaches of installation are now gone!
- MegaDots 2.3 has a Windows install program. It installs all the
icons, and shortcuts for you. No more installation headaches.
- The question "Does MegaDots works in Windows?" is obsolete. Now MegaDots
requires Windows in order to be installed!
- The install program asks for your serial number and a password. No
more floppy disks needed during installation.
- The install program also works as a demo if a valid serial number / password
is not given.
- Beginner Braille and
MegaMath are included at no additional charge!
These two add-on features used to cost an additional $400. MegaMath includes
support for chemistry symbols.
- MegaDots now includes and makes use of Embossit 2.0. This unique
Duxbury Systems product allows MegaDots to emboss to any Embosser
that DBT 10.6 can emboss to. If you happen to own DBT 10.6,
you will notice that Embossit 2.0 has the same list of configured embossers
as DBT 10.6. This means you can emboss to USB devices, to network
embossers, or to embossers requiring exotic Windows drivers, such as the
ViewPlus Tiger series.
- MegaDots 2.3 contains MegaPRN, a program that lets MegaDots 2.3
print to any Windows printer on your system. You can produce inkprint output
to your network printers.
- MegaDots 2.3 supports the changes to the British rules, including
changes to the translation to a significant number of words.
- MegaDots 2.3 eliminates the crashes that occurred on Windows XP Pro
with some file importations and exporting.
- Dozens of other improvements.
- New version MegaDots 2.3 is shipped on CD-ROM for easy installation. All
the documentation is available from a simple menu on your browser.
- MegaDots 2.3 runs under Windows versions: 98, ME, 2000, NT, XP.
MegaDots 2.3 automatically installs your Windows icons.
- MegaDots 2.3 includes improved script files for JAWS for Windows
- MegaDots 2.3 includes improved ability to import publisher (SGML) files
- Since MegaDots recognizes many file formats, you can bring
in virtually any document and set it up for braille. MegaDots supports all
commercial braille embossers and all modern inkprint printers (except
for a small group of inkprint printers that are Windows-only).
- Whenever you want to see how the braille looks, press the Translate key.
Suddenly you're looking at the same words, but in braille! You can jump around,
edit or enter more braille. Braille entry can be done using a six-key technique,
or as "Inkprint in braille", where the words you type become braille as you
type them. When you are done in braille, press the Translate key once more
and you return to print.
- Users of voice and refreshable braille displays will appreciate interacting
with software tailored for blind access. Screens are simple and free of clutter,
and you don't have to fuss around to know where you are in the software. When
you move into a new area, the name of the screen is spoken, such as "Editor",
"Main menu" or "Save file help".
- For large print users, MegaDots supports popular screen enlargement programs,
as well as a built-in large text mode. You'll never have to scroll around
looking for text or information that's off the screen. All you need to see
is right there in front of you.
- For sighted users, MegaDots has a familiar look and feel. Pull-down menus,
point and click mouse interaction and colorful screens make working fun. The
braille itself can be viewed in a variety of forms, depending on what is most
readable for you.
- MegaDots gives you the features you expect from a modern word processor,
such as macros, bookmarks, and find and replace.
Features in MegaDots 2.3
- File Importer works hard so you won't have to.
- The File Importer is smarter than ever: it identifies what kind of document
you're importing (i.e., a letter, poetry, etc.) and automatically applies
the appropriate styles to the imported document. This important and intuitive
step minimizes the time and effort it used to take to make great braille.
- MegaDots imports Windows Help Screens, which are otherwise very
difficult to access with speech or refreshable braille.
- For users who want total control, automatic features of the importer
can be temporarily and selectively disabled.
- Optically scanned documents are automatically recognized and cleaned
up - before you even edit your document!
- MegaDots knows that optical scanners make visual mistakes and has a
system for changing nonsense back into the right words. And now, optically
scanned documents are automatically recognized and cleaned up - before
you even edit your document! Just import your optically scanned document,
and obviously misspelled text is corrected, i.e., "farnily" is changed
to "family". Other common format errors are also fixed, such as split
paragraphs and misnumbered list items.
- Here's how it works. First, the scanned document's format is cleaned
up. For example, optical scanners often break up paragraphs inappropriately
or misnumber lists of items. MegaDots correctly formats these areas. It
can even remove the garble that results from scanning pictures or graphics
within the text. The text itself is then cleaned up, one word at a time.
MegaDots will find and correct any obviously misspelled words before you
even view your imported document. Running headers, footers and page numbers
that occur on each page are removed and used for print page indicators
in the document.
- Improved Spell Checker
- We've added over 20,000 words to the dictionary. The Spell Checker now
recognizes over 110,000 words.
- Large Print Features!
- Create beautiful large print up to five times as tall and wide as standard
fonts (up to 64 point).
- MegaDots supports your printer's scalable fonts for the most attractive
possible large print.
- With new large print page indicators, you'll be able to follow page
numbers from the original text.
- Advanced Inkprint Printing Capabilities
We're proud to present these useful features designed specifically to make
learning and proofreading braille easier. And while we were at it, we threw
in quite a bit for users who need high quality, customizable inkprint, too.
- MegaDots now supports all modern inkprint printers, except
for a small group that are Windows-only).
- Choose from ten different kinds of inkprint braille.
- Make inkprint braille and text on the same page in three different formats:
side by side, word by word, and line by line.
- Side by Side displays the braille page next to the print page
on one sheet.
- Word by Word puts the print word directly over each braille word.
- Line by Line mode puts the print line above each braille line.
- Adjustable vertical and horizontal spacing makes inkprint layout to
your most exacting specifications.
- Get a detailed document overview with the Interpret Format feature.
- New Interpret Format screen shows you what's in your document: how many
and which styles it uses; whether there are tabs, running headers, or
print page indicators; and other useful information. This overview helps
you check the "big picture" of your document.
- Make global changes to your document. For example, change all Poetry
paragraphs to Body text.
- Within the overview, you can ask for greater detail. For example, you
can view just the poetry in your document, or all of the print page indicators.
- Within one of these views, you can jump straight to that place in the
text. Or, stay within the view, and make changes there.
- Use Interpret Format to adjust the importation of a document. When used
right after import, you can adjust MegaDots' document cleanup, how MegaDots
selects styles and what import features or styles to use while importing.
- Easy Table Formatting!
We have worked with the pickiest braille transcribers to revamp
our table formatting.
- MegaDots follows all of the new BANA and British table rules.
- MegaDots will automatically squeeze the table to fit on the braille
- If you braille table is too wide for the braille page, MegaDots can
put it on two facing pages.
- Column Blocking lets you cut and paste entire columns.
- Format your word list in columns with Make Clipboard Columns.
This feature now lets you choose the number of columns you want to generate.
- MegaDots now handles diacritics.
MegaDots now supports all of the diacritical marks shown in the textbook format
codebook. This speeds up another laborious aspect of making braille.
Does MegaDots Do Windows?
Yes, even though MegaDots 2.3 is still an MS-DOS application.
MegaDots works with Windows 98, ME, 2000, NT, and XP.
- Can MegaDots bring in files from Microsoft Word? Yes. However,
until recently MegaDots did not bring in files from recent versions of Word,
specifically files from Word 97 and Word 8. Beginning with version
2.02, MegaDots imports these files very well, as long as you are working on a Windows
98 or higher system (and you are not running in MS-DOS mode).
- If a blind person uses mainly Windows applications on their computer,
can they use MegaDots with voice or refreshable Braille access? Yes.
JAWS works in DOS applications. We have included a set of MegaDots script
files, for use with JFW 3.0 or higher.
- Can MegaDots print through Windows? We have greatly simplified the process
of printing braille from MegaDots through Windows.
Please check out Duxbury's support page for questions and concerns about MegaDots
How Do People Use MegaDots?
- Large braille production services use MegaDots to produce braille textbooks
efficiently for blind students. The program's speed lets them move through
a great amount of material in a short time.
- Elementary school students as young as third grade are using MegaDots to
make braille and to learn about computers.
- Teachers find MegaDots helpful in quickly getting braille to their blind
students. There are exercise and directions styles for making exams and worksheets
- MegaDots is used by several deaf-blind persons as their main reading and
- Blind computer programmers use MegaDots to make computer program listings
- Volunteer transcriber groups use MegaDots in a variety of ways--both for
translation and for 6-key direct entry of braille.
- Schools and transcribers use MegaDots to make grade one braille in Spanish,
French, German, Italian, and Portuguese.
To purchase, contact us by email or Toll-Free: 866-339-1180.